Project leader Environmental Health and Chemical Risk Assessment Data
Mol, BelgiumR&D & Engineering
As a globally recognized research center, VITO aims to accelerate the transition toward a sustainable world. We believe that with our Health research program, we can pioneer a preventive approach to health care and support societal transitions. One of the pillars of our approach is the prevention of diseases caused by environmental pollution. Our research relies heavily on measurement and modelling data of chemical substances in the environment and in humans, combined with lifestyle factor insights (such as diet, stress, green space) to identify health risks and take measures to control them. We believe that data-driven insights play a pivotal role in achieving this goal.
We are seeking a senior expert in the domain of Environmental Health and Chemical Risk Assessment to join our dynamic team. As a key member, you will drive the strategies to maximize the (re)use of data and its benefits in a scientific and regulatory context. You will be in the forefront of defining the strategy for the data initiatives in European programs like the European Partnership on Assessment of Risks from Chemicals (PARC) and European research infrastructure for Environmental Exposure Assessment Research (EIRENE), in our own Environmental & Health research program and broader together with other expertise domains including for example remote sensing, climate adaption and urban air within VITO.
If you are passionate about leveraging data to address critical environment and health challenges, we want to hear from you!
What will be your role?
- Leading the data work packages in European programs and the EIRENE data platform infrastructure project Engage with chemical risk actors and institutes in Environment & Health research and regulation to optimize exchange and re-use of data between the different risk assessment actors including universities, research organizations, regulatory agencies, and disciplines.
- Work together with other expert leaders in VITO on game changing research by integrating existing data platforms.
- Develop a comprehensive roadmap for data initiatives capturing the research program needs Lead the implementation of the roadmap leaning on the expertise of the data management and engineering team for the development and operation of tools and infrastructure and alignment of the roadmap with EU-wide initiatives on open data, data spaces and FAIR data principles.
- You hold a Master or Ph.D. degree in Environmental Sciences or Life Sciences, or a related field;
- You have experience in leading roles in research projects concerning Environmental health and Chemical Risk Assessment;
- You have a strong vision on data landscape and data needs in Environmental Health Research and Chemical Risk Assessment;
- Having network with EU regulators and familiarity with EU regulations and frameworks in the domain is a strong asset.
- You have leadership skills:
- Ability to engage team, external partners, institutes, and agencies in defining strategic needs and priorities and in translating these into operational plans. This leadership style typically requires analytical skills, clear and logic explaining of rationale and direction on completion of goal-related tasks.
- You are a strategic thinker:
- Ability to envision and create a strategic data roadmap.
- Familiarity with EU regulations and frameworks.
- You are a collaborator:
- Persuasive communication skills to engage with diverse stakeholders.
- Passion for interdisciplinary collaboration.
- We work 'activity-based', our activities bring us to our location. Our headquarter is in Mol. Hybrid / Part-time working from home or a satellite office in Antwerp-Berchem, Ghent or Ostend is possible.
- A competitive salary with a range of benefits, including allowances, insurance and a modular package of holidays.
- Innovation is our asset, so it goes without saying that we give our employees the opportunity to take additional training courses and stay up-to-date in their field. You will always have the opportunity to broaden your knowledge and discover new technologies.
- You will have the opportunity to be part of an organization with an international reputation, known for its cutting-edge technological research and scientific consultancy.
- With us, you will contribute directly to sustainable developments at local, national and global level through your innovative applications. You provide answers to contemporary societal challenges.
- Moreover, we highly value a good work-life balance at VITO! This is achieved by adopting a flexible attitude depending on your specific needs.