Postdoc 'PEM electrochemical cells'
High-performance advanced materials are at the core of the technological innovations needed to realise the transition to a circular economy and a climate-neutral society. VITO’s ‘Coating and Shaping Technologies’ team focuses on developing advanced materials and applications through smart shaping and surface modification, to support sustainable production in different industrial sectors.
One of the core research activities within the team is the development of electrode coatings for Polymer Electrolyte Membrane (PEM) electrochemical cells for energy storage and green ammonia production. Given the urgent need for sustainable fuels, the development of more efficient electrochemical cells based on innovative electrode coatings is of particular interest. To strengthen our team, we are looking for a postdoc colleague with experience in manufacturing and testing electrodes for PEM electrochemical cell or, more broadly, fuel cells technologies. The research group is well-equipped with up-to-date instrumentation, for coating, testing and characterisation to support the development of fuel cell architectures.
- You will contribute to climate change mitigation through the development of a more efficient technology for the production of green hydrogen and ammonia, as part of our enthusiastic and dynamic research team of over 30 talented individuals.
- You will develop, integrate and optimise layered electrode structures and components for membrane electrode assemblies (MEAs); the developed electrodes will be comprehensively characterised to gain insight into their composition, microstructure and properties.
- You will contribute to the execution of an international Horizon Europe research project AELECTRA (Grant agreement ID: 101115264; https://cordis.europa.eu/project/id/101115264) working in collaboration with industrial and academic project partners.
- You will take responsibility for delivering timely high-quality scientific results, in line with the project planning.
- You will publish your work in high-impact scientific journals, and present your research results at relevant conferences.
- PhD degree in Electrochemistry, Fuel Cell Technology, Physics, Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering or related fields
- You have relevant background in PEM cell design and common electrochemical techniques (cyclic voltammetry-CV, electrochemical impedance spectroscopy – EIS)
- Creative mind, ambition and aptitude to turn new concepts into practice
- Excellent writing, presentation and communication skills
- A 2-year temporary contract, a competitive salary and a range of benefits including allowances, insurances, adjustable holiday package and flexible working hours and workplace.
- Innovation is our core asset; therefore it goes without saying that we give our employees the opportunity to undertake additional training and keep up to date in their field of expertise.
- The chance to be part of an organisation with an international reputation, known for its advanced technological research and scientific consultancy.
- The possibility to actively contribute towards sustainable developments at local, national and global level.