Postdoc "Electrode manufacturing for solid oxide electrolysis cells to produce green hydrogen"
High-performance advanced materials are at the core of the technological innovations needed to realise the transition to a circular economy and a climate-neutral society. VITO’s ‘Coating and Shaping Technologies’ team focuses on developing advanced materials and applications through smart shaping and surface modification, to support sustainable production in different industrial sectors.
One of the core research activities within the team is the development of electrode coatings for solid oxide electrolysis cells (SOEC) to produce green hydrogen. Given the urgent need for sustainable fuels, the development of more efficient electrolysis cells based on innovative electrode coatings is of particular interest. To strengthen our team, we are looking for a postdoc colleague with experience in electrode manufacturing for solid oxide electrolysis or fuel cells and testing
of these cells. The research group is equipped with up-to-date infrastructure for coating application, characterisation techniques and testing equipment to support the development of these SOEC coatings.
- You will contribute to climate change mitigation through the development of a more efficient technology to produce sustainable fuels such as green hydrogen, as part of our enthusiastic and dynamic research team of over 30 talented individuals
- You will optimize the electrode manufacturing for solid oxide electrolysis cells and support the development of new efficient SOEC by characterisation and testing in-depth the produced coatings
- You contribute to the execution of an international Horizon Europe research project NOUVEAU with industrial and academic partners
- You will take responsibility for delivering high-quality and timely scientific results, according to the planning of research projects
- You publish your work in high-impact scientific publications, and present your research results in relevant conferences
PhD degree in Chemistry, Physics, Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering, Civil Engineering or related fields
- You have a strong basic knowledge of inorganic chemistry
- You have experience in suspension preparation and coating technologies (e.g. spray coating, screen printing, tape casting, …)
- Experience in the field of solid oxide electrolysis cell or fuel cell is an asset
- Creative mind, ambitious and eager to turn new concepts into practice
- Excellent writing, presentation and communication skills
- A competitive salary with a range of benefits including allowances, insurances, and a modular vacation package
- A team of nice colleagues, experts in their fields, who will guide, support and interact with you
- Innovation is our asset, so it goes without saying that we offer our employees the opportunity to follow additional training courses and stay up to date in their field of expertise
- You will be part of an organization with an international reputation, known for its advanced technological research and scientific consultancy