R&D Engineer Building Envelope Innovation
The "Smart Energy & Built Environment" unit within VITO / EnergyVille facilitates the energy transition in the built environment, both through knowledge sharing and policy advice, as through technology development. We are expanding our activities in the field of robotic applications for the building construction sector, encompassing in-situ construction works, and final assembly of prefabricated building components in production plants.
In collaboration with our partners, the research will focus on product innovation for high-energy performant buildings, particulary on innovative building envelope solutions (e.g. smart façades). The team focuses on the assembly of innovative subcomponents to components by integrating knowledge on building physics, building engineering, energy generation and storage (e.g. BIPV, PMCs), sensors and actuators,... The team does not focus on subcomponent material research as such.
Ready to contribute to our product innovation projects? Read on!
Some of your responsibilities:
- You work on research projects and service contracts related to building envelope innovation in close collaboration with industry and research partners; Proven project management experience is plus.
- Together with a team of colleagues, you are responsible for developing innovative building envelope solution prototypes, with advantages in terms of energy and sustainability performance, design-for-prefabrication, design-for disassembly, and with integration of material science innovations and HVAC/energy technology innovations.
- You will be involved in activities of product design, design optimization-oriented simulations, prototyping, testing, and interaction with industry partners on transferring prototypes to market-ready products for the construction market.
- You contribute to the formation of our research and innovation roadmap. You follow-up on evolutions in the market and the research field.
- You will be part of national and international consortia and build a network with relevant Belgian and international stakeholders and customers.
- You also contribute to the acquisition of projects and the writing of research proposals with the aim of securing future research funding.
- You may be involved in patenting processes, in scientific publications of our work and in presenting our work to clients, stakeholders, and peers on national and international fora.
- You obtained a PhD in applied sciences.
- You have at least 2 years of experience in a relevant domain (energy and HVAC technologies for buildings, building physics, building construction engineering).
- Experience with applied technology development, building envelope performance simulations (e.g. energyplus), or experimental testing (thermal, structural, hygric,..) are an important asset.
- Experience with research programmes is a plus, both in terms of acquisition and project execution (e.g. VLAIO, HEU, ERDF, FWO,...).
- You are a collaborative person, getting energy from working in a project team and taking care of good communication between team members.
- You express yourself fluently in English (oral and written), knowledge of Dutch is an added value.
- If you're tired of the frequent commute, you've come to the right place. We work 'activity based', our activities bring us to our location. Our EnergyVille office is in Genk, here we meet at least once a week. Part-time work from home, our headquarter in Mol, or working from a satellite office in Antwerp-Berchem, Ghent or Ostend is possible.
- A competitive salary with a range of benefits including allowances, insurances, and a modular vacation package.
- Innovation is our asset, so it goes without saying that we offer our employees the opportunity to follow additional training courses and stay up to date in their field of expertise. You always get the opportunity to broaden your knowledge on for example the development of new construction products.
- You will be part of an organization with an international reputation, known for its advanced technological research and scientific consultancy.
- With us, you will contribute directly to sustainable developments at local, national, and global level through your innovative applications. You provide an answer to today’s societal challenges.
- Moreover, at VITO we attach great importance to work-life balance. We do this by being flexible, depending on your specific needs.