R&D Energy & Climate Modelling
EnergyVille (Genk), BelgiumR&D & Engineering
VITO is an independent research institute that operates in today's economic and societal reality. Turning fundamental research into solutions and creating value for other companies and governments are our main drivers. Together with KU Leuven, imec and UHasselt is VITO research partner within EnergyVille. For VITO/EnergyVille we are currently seeking a motivated and skilled Energy & Climate Modelling researcher to join our SESAM (Sustainable Energy Systems Assessment & Modelling) team within our Water & Energy Transition unit.
Some of your responsibilities:
- As a researcher you offer scientific advise to industry and policy makers on the development of their long-term energy and climate strategy. Our project portfolio ranges from European to international (f.i. African countries, India) clients.
- You will participate in model development, scenario analysis, and scientific reporting on techno-economic optimisation as well as simulation models.
- Key areas of research are energy efficiency, electrification, ‘Power-to-x’, ‘carbon capture storage and utilization’ and infrastructure development to reach net-zero-carbon emissions.
- You will continuously expand your knowledge and expertise of energy strategy and models by means of scientific literature, courses and on-the job experience.
- Research is mostly carried out in a team and occasionally individually.
- You contribute to the long term scientific relevance of the organisation by identifying new routes of model development, exploring new research opportunities and writing client offers and research proposals.
Above all you help envision the role of innovative technologies in the energy system for the day after tomorrow. Interested to contribute? Read on!
- You hold at a minimum a Master’s degree in exact sciences or engineering and have at least a few years of work experience.
- You are passionate about the role of technology in energy and climate strategy, and have the required expertise to approach challenges from a systemic (quantitative) perspective.
- You are familiar with analysing and interpreting statistical energy/emission data sets and are looking forward to improve and use them as input for the long-term models.
- You are eager to work in an international context and support developing countries in setting up the best suitable modeling framework answering their needs.
- Knowledge of energy system models (like VEDA-TIMES, MESSAGE, OSEMOSYS, LEAP) and experience with consultative assignments for authorities and/or industry are a plus.
- You can clearly communicate research conclusions in verbal and written format and you have a good knowledge of the English language.
Are you passionate about the role of technology in the energy system? Do you like to explore different ways in which you can support others with your modeling framework? Then do not hesitate and take your chance!
- With us you have real impact, because together with your outstanding, helpful colleagues you look for innovative applications that offer an answer to today's challenges.
- You will be part of an organization where we show integrity and always strive for mutual benefit in the cooperation with all parties involved.
- VITO/EnergyVille is truly international: more than 40 different nationalities work with us.
- We work ‘activity based’. Our activities determine our workplace. On average we meet 2 times a week in our office in Genk. For the other days you can work from home, Genk or work remotely at one of our satellite offices (for example Antwerpen-Berchem) depending on the needs of the activity.
- You will learn life-long and develop your technical skills further by using the newest of the latest technologies that you can test on the market yourself.