Senior R&D Energy and Climate Strategy - Modelling
EnergyVille (Genk), BelgiumR&D & Engineering
VITO is an independent research institute that operates in today's economic and societal reality. Turning fundamental research into solutions and creating value for other companies and governments are our main drivers. Together with KU Leuven, imec and UHasselt is VITO research partner within EnergyVille. For VITO/EnergyVille we are currently seeking a motivated and skilled Energy & Climate Modelling researcher to join our SESAM (Sustainable Energy Systems Assessment & Modelling) team within our Water & Energy Transition unit. As a senior consultant, you will advise policy makers and industry operating at European and international level on the evaluation, development and implementation of their energy and climate related strategies.
- You will coordinate and participate in model development, scenario analysis, and scientific reporting on techno-economic optimisation models (ex. VEDA-TIMES) as well as simulation models
- You are responsible for coordinating and conducting consultative assignments within time and budget. You will work in a team, but will also be responsible for carrying out consultative assignments independently.
- Key areas of research are energy efficiency, electrification, ‘Power-to-x’, ‘carbon capture storage and utilization’ and infrastructure development to reach net-zero-carbon emissions.
- You will interpret results of the models and on this basis, formulate scientific recommendations tailored to the client's needs. You will report the research results to our clients (authorities and industry).
- You will take the lead in writing client offers, research proposals and seeking funding opportunities.
- You will continue expanding your knowledge within the energy & climate domain on the basis of literature, networking, courses and on-the job experience. Within your area of expertise, you will be an active follower of the trends and the studies carried out by other consultants, research institutions and universities.
- You will identify routes for new developments, playing an active role in exploring research questions for energy & climate related areas.
- Above all you help envision the role of innovative technologies in the energy system for the day after tomorrow!
- You have at least 5 years of experience in consultative assignments for governments, policy makers and industry in the energy & climate domain, preferably in an international context and in the leading consultancy firms that work on these topics.
- Proven experience with energy system models (like VEDA-TIMES) is essential. You are passionate about the role of technology in energy and climate strategy, and have the required expertise to approach challenges from a systemic (quantitative) perspective.
- Sound knowledge of European Union climate and energy policies, in particular in the context of the Energy Union framework strategy.
- Proven experience in writing and managing energy and climate assessments. You can synthesize model and assessment results into implementable recommendations for authorities and industry clients.
- Networking and communicating the results of energy and environment assessments to relevant audiences, including European Union institutions, industry, expert groups, research communities.
- You have excellent communication skills both in writing and speaking.
Are you passionate about international energy and climate policy? Do you think the words 'entrepreneurship, commercial flair, initiator' totally fit your way of working? Then do not hesitate and take your chance!
- With us you have real impact, because together with your outstanding, helpful colleagues you look for innovative applications that offer an answer to today's challenges.
- You will be part of an organization where we show integrity and always strive for mutual benefit in the cooperation with all parties involved.
- VITO/EnergyVille is truly international: more than 40 different nationalities work with us.
- We work ‘activity based’. Our activities determine our workplace. On average we meet 2 times a week in our office in Genk. For the other days you can work from home, Genk or work remotely at one of our satellite offices (for example Antwerpen-Berchem) depending on the needs of the activity.
- You will learn life-long and develop your technical skills further by using the newest of the latest technologies that you can test on the market yourself.