Lead Engineer Electrochemical Concepts and Process Design
Mol, Vlaams Gewest, BelgiumR&D & Engineering
VITO is a Flemish independent research organisation in the field of cleantech and sustainable development. Our goal? To accelerate the transition to a sustainable world.
We are currently looking for a driven senior engineer to strengthen our team of visionaries and contribute to technological discoveries and breakthrough innovations.
Within the materials and chemistry unit (MATCH), you will be part of a passionate team of researchers, postdocs, engineers and technicians who work together on the development of electrochemical processes and concepts to make energy carriers and chemical building blocks for the economy of the future, such as hydrogen and synthetic fuels, from renewable energy and sustainable raw materials.
Some examples of projects the team is working on:
- The ECO2Fuel project aims to design, produce, operate and validate the first low-temperature electrochemical CO2 conversion system to produce economical and sustainable e-fuels and chemicals: ECO2Fuel Project (eco2fuel-project.eu)
- Developing large-scale electrochemical demonstrators for green hydrogen production.
Would you like to be at the helm of cleantech developments in this team? Then read on quickly!
Some of your responsibilities:
- You set the course and strategy for R&D developments within the electrochemistry team.
- You determine priorities based on your understanding of underlying physicochemistry, energy and mass balances. On the basis of simple models showing the first-order effects of the various process aspects and their interrelationships, you gain insight into the choices to be made, and on the basis of techno-economic analyses you determine the technical objectives for the research.
- You explore new techniques and create new ideas that contribute to the growth of the team and inspire other researchers and engineers. You identify and generate new insights for patent filing.
- Together with the researchers, you determine the next steps in the research roadmap and communicate them clearly.
- You actively develop a network of relevant stakeholders (industry, research institutes and groups, technology providers, etc.).
- You are responsible for monitoring the technological progress and make adjustments where necessary. You have an eye for the development needs of the team.
What we expect from you:
- You hold a Master's degree or PhD in applied sciences/civil engineering or are equivalent through experience.
- You have a strong theoretical baggage, are strongly analytical and have experience in an industrial environment.
- You have an understanding of (electro)chemical conversions, mass and energy transport.
- You are passionate about technological and scientific challenges, dare to take a stand and communicate this to others.
- Sense of initiative, creativity and out-of-the-box thinking are traits that characterise you.
- You have strong organisational skills and can set priorities.
- You have a team-oriented attitude, make contacts easily and can inspire others.
- You speak and write English fluently.
What we offer you:
- An attractive salary package complemented by extra-legal benefits such as allowances, insurances, a modular package of holidays, a bicycle and car lease plan and much more.
- A nice work location, the headquarters and operations of this position are located in Mol. Relocations to other locations are sporadic.
- Innovation is our core value, we give our employees the opportunity to upskill and keep up to date within their field, more so; we expect this.
- A position in a leading, customer-oriented organisation in the field of innovative technological research and science-based consultancy.
- The opportunity to contribute to sustainable development and help put Flanders on the map internationally as an active knowledge region.