Data Steward for Environment and Health Research
As a globally recognized research center, VITO aims to accelerate the transition toward a sustainable world. We believe that with our Health research program, we can pioneer a preventive approach to health care and support societal transitions. One of the pillars of our approach is the prevention of diseases caused by environmental pollution. Our research relies heavily on measurement and modelling data of chemical substances in the environment and in humans, combined with lifestyle factor insights (such as diet, stress, green space, …) to identify health risks and take measures to control them.
We are currently seeking a Data Steward to join our team (of 31 driven R&D experts). Your primary responsibilities will be to organise data governance, identify data assets for quality and fitness for purpose, implement data management best practices, and contribute to the development of data integration and processing platforms that enable data analysis and FAIR data sharing for exposome research within the Health team. You will play a pivotal role in our European Partnership on Assessment of Risks from Chemicals (PARC) and European research infrastructure for Environmental Exposure Assessment Research (EIRENE). Interested to contribute? Read on!
Your tasks will include:
- Identifying and assessing data assets with researchers and external partners to ensure data quality and fitness for purpose, including the metadata for those data assets.
- Writing data management/governance plans and data access policies in collaboration with involved parties
- Collaborating with researchers and external partners to implement data management best practices to support efficient data processing and publishing
- Collecting requirements from end-users, researchers, and external partners to enhance the capabilities of the data platforms
- Collaborating with our data architect and data engineers to streamline processes for data publication in public repositories
- Liaising with our legal department to establish necessary data agreements
- You hold a Master's degree in life sciences or computer sciences
- You have knowledge of FAIR data, open data, data management, and its associated resources such as (meta)data standards, ontologies, and data repositories
- You have experience with managing various life sciences data sets
- You are communicative and can express yourself fluently in English (written and spoken). Knowledge of Dutch is an asset.
- Experience in working on collaborative projects is an asset.
If you are passionate about data stewardship and want to contribute to the world's transition to sustainable growth, you could be the perfect fit for our team. Apply now!
- Working at VITO means having a real impact, because together with your excellent, helpful colleagues you develop policy towards a preventive health system that will provide an answer to today's societal challenges.
- If you're tired of daily commuting, you've come to the right place. We work 'activity based'. This means that our activities take us to our location. We connect two days a week locally at our head office in Mol, the other days you can work from home, work remotely at one of our satellite offices (e.g. Antwerp-Berchem, Ghent, Ostend or Genk) or work locally at the head office in Mol.
- A competitive salary complemented by various extra-legal benefits including allowances, insurances and a modular vacation package.
- A great deal of freedom and flexibility in your job that allows you to achieve a good work-life balance.
- Innovation is our core value, we give our employees the opportunity to educate themselves and keep up to date within their field, more so; we expect this.
- The opportunity to be part of an internationally important player, known for its cutting-edge technological research and scientific consultancy.
- Together with the 900 VITO colleagues, you will make a difference in the system change that is necessary to achieve a sustainable society.