Techno-economic analyst innovative technologies
Mol, Vlaams Gewest, BelgiumR&D & Engineering
Are you interested in new, sustainable processes and are you particularly curious about the economic feasibility and broader sustainability impact of this? Then techno-economic analyses are for you. With new technologies, there are often still many uncertainties and uncertainties about which options are most promising. Is the investment cost decisive or should we mainly reduce energy consumption or increase productivity? Which research goals must be achieved? In which context does the technology have the most added value? Our team, in close collaboration with technology developers, tries to formulate answers to these questions and looks for promising value chains using techno-economic analyses. In a techno-economic analysis, we simultaneously examine the processes from a technical and economic point of view. We do this in a substantiated, quantified manner in an intensive collaboration with technology owners and external experts and stakeholders.
Within the team we work on various topics such as the bio-based economy, carbon capture and utilisation (CCU) and plastics recycling. For example, we are investigating whether the CO2 from the steel sector can be converted into more high-quality products via fermentation in an economically feasible way. In another project, we investigate for which applications bio-based aromatics from lignin can be used. We are also evaluating where chemical recycling of plastics can add value. Other projects we are currently working on can be found here.
With this vacancy we want to strengthen our team with a colleague who is fascinated by technological innovations and their economic feasibility and who is more likely to develop a helicopter view of the value chain than to specialize in specific processes.
With this vacancy we offer a challenging job in which a diversity of processes and value chains are evaluated from a broad, multidisciplinary perspective with our internally developed techno-economic analysis method.
Specific job content:
- You analyse (quantitatively and qualitatively) new technologies in close collaboration with internal VITO experts and check the results externally in the market with potential partners and customers;
- You evaluate, communicate, and report your results to our clients (Flemish and European) and the research world (i.e. scientific publications and conferences) to advise on the technical research goals that need to be achieved to bring new, sustainable processes to a commercial success;
- You take into account the different valorisation possibilities of processes and look for the optimal context in which these processes can be implemented. Based on the results, you provide solutions and advice for companies, governments and knowledge institutions;
- You carry out (inter)national projects with a focus on the further development of the internally developed techno-economic analysis method;
- In time, you will autonomously look for new research projects and trajectories for the further development of your own techno-economic analysis method. You co-write proposals and look for opportunities to finance the proposals.
- You obtained at least a degree of Master Industrial Engineer, Bio-engineer, Civil Engineer or Commercial Engineer;
- You have an analytical attitude and are critical of your results;
- You get energy from building market knowledge and insights and interaction with stakeholders;
- You have a good knowledge of Excel;
- You like to work in a team, but can also complete tasks independently;
- You have strong communication skills;
- Good knowledge of Dutch is a plus;
- You are more a generalist than a specialist.