Software Engineer Linked Data
As a Flemish, internationally recognised research centre, VITO wants to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world. The Data Science Hub designs, develops, tests and valorises, in cooperation with the various departments of VITO, data-intensive algorithms to improve sustainability in the fields of Energy, Materials, Chemistry, Health and Land Use.
As a Linked Data Software Engineer, you will strengthen the Data Science Hub to contribute to a more sustainable society. You will be part of a team of 8 competent colleagues who support the various exciting and diverse domains within VITO.
The Data Science Hub works on many interesting projects. For example, we are working on detecting eye diseases using artificial intelligence or modelling energy distribution networks to make optimal use of new energy sources.
The project you will mainly be working on is "We Are". VITO works together with the Flemish Government on a new platform to give ownership and control of personal health data back to the citizen.
Have a look here to see what interesting projects we are doing!
You focus on the design and development of reusable software for the We Are platform. We Are is based on Solid, a project of MIT and Tim Berners-Lee that develops technological principles and tools for a decentralised, data-driven web ecosystem based on linked data.
You will also contribute to the application of FAIR Data principles within other projects and to the development of technologies that can unlock that data in a Belgian and international context!
You will work with semantic web technologies and know how to bring them, or learn how to bring them, online. You will work closely together with the researchers on the data models and ontologies with which we store personal health data and other VITO data.
- You extend your knowledge and expertise and follow the trends within the Semantic web and linked data ecosystem (Solid but also other technologies) and experiment with new technologies to evaluate their potential for VITO
- You act as the technical contact, both internally with our IT department, as well as externally with third parties such as hosting companies and software developers
- You will participate in the development of functionalities for aggregated data processing, anonymisation, pseudonomisation
- You are aware of the privacy context in which we operate, you work on the basis of privacy by design principles and you are familiar with GDPR and other guidelines concerning personal data
- You have a Master's degree with a clear focus on IT (applied IT, Industrial Sciences, Computer Sciences, ...) or equivalent through experience in a complex IT environment.
- You have an excellent command of Dutch and English and know how to communicate your ideas to people with different backgrounds
- You are familiar and/or interested in the concepts of linked data and the semantic web and technologies such as RDF, OWL, SHACL, SPARQL
- Experience with front-end technologies such as Angular, React, ... is a plus as is experience with DevOps.
- You are convinced of the importance of software engineering best practices such as version control and software testing
In addition, you are a talent in self-organisation and you help things move forward with a resolute approach. Are you also so precise that no detail escapes you? Are you also so creative and innovative that you can easily think with the customer in terms of a user-friendly solution? You are probably so analytical that you can distinguish the main issue from the side issue in this complex environment!
And... your credo is: "can't be done, doesn't exist".
- With us, you have real impact because, together with your 900 outstanding, helpful colleagues, you look for innovative applications that offer an answer to today's social challenges.
- You will be part of an organisation where we show integrity and always strive for mutual benefit in the cooperation with all parties involved.
- VITO is truly international: 40 different nationalities work for us. We have projects in cooperation with the European Union, but also beyond!
- If you are tired of commuting, you have come to the right place. We work on an activity basis. This means that our activities take us to our location. You can work at home, work remotely at one of our satellite offices or work on site at the head office in Mol. You will work 1 to 2 days per week in your team in Mol.
- You will learn lifelong and further develop your technical skills using the latest technologies such as FAIR data. Also you can specialise in the new upcoming trend in Semantic Web & Linked data technology.
- We stand 100% behind agile working methods
- You get the time to get to the bottom of things and there is room for your own initiative
- And at VITO, work-life balance is also very important to us! We do this by being flexible, depending on your specific needs.
So: would you like to combine your family with a challenging job? Then do not hesitate!