The Remote Sensing unit of VITO processes petabytes of earth observation data. We primarily specialise in Big Data analysis with the use of machine learning and deep learning techniques in the application workflows. That is our passion: the extraction of information from the vast amounts of incoming images. This information is required by our clients, which can be found within the domains of land use, civil infrastructure, agriculture, forestry, water management, heritage and ecological development.
For our big data services development team, we are looking for a dynamic and highly motivated software engineer for the expansion of the team. Our ideal candidate is a driver in an ecosystem of earth observation and big data platforms and ensures agile development of workflows within the existing testing and automation frameworks, to deliver performant operational services. Projects are situated in a context of Belgian space programs, the European Space Agency and the European Commission.
As a software engineer, you will work within an agile scrum team of solution architects, software developers and operation engineers. Together you will be responsible for development, test automation and the maintenance of satellite data processing systems. You execute the internal vision and roadmap on big data and processing platforms.
Strong analytical skills are crucial given that you will participate in an ambitious team with constantly evolving IT and Earth Observation business needs.
You'll become part of a talented, dedicated team working in a fast-paced, challenging international environment. We thrive to develop cutting edge technologies that will be used in applications and services by a broad public, industry, the public sector and universities.
- Develop efficient services, algorithms, models and proof of concepts
- Create production-grade software components which will be deployed as micro-services
- Ensure decent automated test coverage of delivered components
- Work together with architects, subject matter experts and product owners
- Provide support on customer issues
- Together with the team, take responsibility over the operational platforms
- Python experience is a must; Java and/or Scala are nice to have
- Experience in Agile software development
- Experience designing and implementing REST services or API’s in general
- Experience working in DevOps environments
- Experience using Continuous Integration and testing frameworks (e.g. Jenkins)
- Experience in cloud native deployments is a plus
- Experience in large scale data processing (e.g. Apache Spark) is a plus
- We work 'activity-based', our activities bring us to our location. Our headquarter is in Mol. Part-time working from home or a satellite office in Antwerp-Berchem, Ghent or Ostend is possible.
- A competitive salary with a range of benefits, including allowances, insurance and a modular package of holidays.
- Innovation is our asset, so it goes without saying that we give our employees the opportunity to take additional training courses and stay up-to-date in their field. You will always have the opportunity to broaden your knowledge and discover new technologies.
- You will have the opportunity to be part of an organization with an international reputation, known for its cutting-edge technological research and scientific consultancy.
- With us, you will contribute directly to sustainable developments at local, national and global level through your innovative applications. You provide answers to contemporary societal challenges.
- Moreover, we highly value a good work-life balance at VITO! This is achieved by adopting a flexible attitude depending on your specific needs.