Remote Sensing Scientist
Mol, BelgiumR&D & Engineering
VITO develops technology to facilitate the transition to a more sustainable society and economy. One of the key technologies applied in this context is Remote Sensing. The Remote Sensing Unit of VITO celebrates its 25th anniversary next year but Remote Sensing has never been more fascinating than today. With the increasing number of satellites, drones, processing facilities and technologies like artificial intelligence, the opportunities with remote sensing are larger than ever.
Meanwhile the Remote Sensing team of VITO counts more than 100 motivated scientists, IT engineers and project managers. To facilitate the growth of our ambitions we are looking for an extra colleague, more specifically a Remote Sensing scientist who wants to become an expert in land cover/land use applications. There are also possibilities to become proficient in using remote sensing for Agriculture or Natural Capital Accounting.
As part of a flexible team you will be working on projects for institutional clients like the European Commission, the European Space Agency, or UN bodies. Occasionally there could be commercial customers. This function requires sound skills in remote sensing, data science, land cover/land use concepts, and coding in an operational context. Knowledge of machine learning techniques would be a strong asset, as well as specific knowledge on SAR Remote Sensing.
The tasks should be executed with high degree of independency, though in close collaboration with the internal and external team members. In VITO you will report on the progress of your work to the Team lead of the Vegetation monitoring team, outside VITO you will communicate on your work in meetings with clients or partners.
Concerning the projects, you will operate in an international setting and take initiative to liaise with project partners of different consortia. Good communication skills with project partners, end-users and stakeholders are a must.
We are looking for an expert profile, creative and highly motivated with the following qualifications:
- You have a Master or PhD degree in exact sciences, applied sciences, bioscience engineering, civil engineering, or agronomy;
- You have thematic background & knowledge in environmental sciences;
- You have at least 5 years of hands-on experience in remote sensing research projects;
- You have sound programming skills in Python, R or C++;
- You have proven expertise in remote sensing data processing, geo-information systems, statistics and big data analysis;
- Expertise in applying machine learning techniques on remote sensing data is an asset;
- Specific expertise in SAR Remote Sensing is an asset;
- Excellent writing and presentation skills in English is key;
- You have a strong interest to work in an international environment.
- We work 'activity-based', our activities bring us to our location. Our headquarter is in Mol. Hybrid / Part-time working from home or a satellite office in Antwerp-Berchem, Ghent or Ostend is possible.
- A competitive salary with a range of benefits, including allowances, insurance and a modular package of holidays.
- Innovation is our asset, so it goes without saying that we give our employees the opportunity to take additional training courses and stay up-to-date in their field. You will always have the opportunity to broaden your knowledge and discover new technologies.
- You will have the opportunity to be part of an organization with an international reputation, known for its cutting-edge technological research and scientific consultancy.
- With us, you will contribute directly to sustainable developments at local, national and global level through your innovative applications. You provide answers to contemporary societal challenges.
- Moreover, we highly value a good work-life balance at VITO! This is achieved by adopting a flexible attitude depending on your specific needs.