R&D statistician for innovative approaches in environment and health
As an internationally recognized research center, VITO wants to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world. For example, with its Health research program, VITO is fully committed to supporting the societal transitions to a more preventive health system. One of the pillars of this is the prevention of diseases caused by environmental pollution. Measurement data of chemical substances in the environment and in humans, combined with information on lifestyle factors that influence exposure (such as diet, stress, physical activity, green space, use of consumer products) provide essential information that allows us to identify health risks and subsequently take measures to control them.
We are looking for a data analyst to strengthen our team. Are you a creative and critical data analyst that synthesize large data sets into actionable advice for governments and clients?
You will be involved in a European partnership on chemical risk assessment, more specifically in a task on innovative data analyses. For this task you will evaluate and apply advanced approaches (including Bayesian techniques) to combine heterogenous data originating from different sources, e.g. exposure data from different sources (human matrices, environmental data, …), data from different studies/countries, as well as evidence across study domains (epidemiological, biomarker, animal, … studies). You will also apply and evaluate advanced statistical approaches to study associations between chemical exposure biomarkers, effect biomarkers and health effects e.g. multipollutant methods and pathway analyses. Other tasks are:
- You work closely with the project manager, your colleagues from the project team, as well as with external partners and clients to determine needs and define client-oriented solutions within agreed time and budget limits.
- You help organize the work of the team in accordance with GDPR.
- You collaborate to find technical solutions together with our IT department.
- You will assist in writing proposals for funding of our research and actively expand your network.
- You will present research and project results at (inter)national forums, contribute to scientific publications and ensure knowledge transfer to team members.
- You will supervise PhD Students.
- You have a PhD or a Master's degree in (Bio-) statistics (preferably), (Bio-)engineering, Bioinformatics, Biomedical Sciences or similar.
- Your working methods have a strong quantitative approach and you have advanced experience with biostatistical methods, including Bayesian models. Experience within the field of molecular epidemiology is helpful.
- You have experience with statistical/mathematical software such as R, SAS, Matlab, ...
- You are a teamplayer and you work accurately.
- You can express yourself clearly in English (oral and written). Knowledge of Dutch is an advantage.
- Working at VITO means having a real impact, because together with your excellent, helpful colleagues you develop policy towards a preventive health system that will provide an answer to today's societal challenges.
- If you're tired of daily commuting, you've come to the right place. We work 'activity based'. This means that our activities take us to our location. We connect two days a week locally at our head office in Mol, the other days you can work from home, work remotely at one of our satellite offices (e.g. Antwerp-Berchem, Ghent, Ostend or Genk) or work locally at the head office in Mol.
- A competitive salary complemented by various extra-legal benefits including allowances, insurances and a modular vacation package.
- A great deal of freedom and flexibility in your job that allows you to achieve a good work-life balance.
- Innovation is our core value, we give our employees the opportunity to educate themselves and keep up to date within their field, more so; we expect this.
- The opportunity to be part of an internationally important player, known for its cutting-edge technological research and scientific consultancy.
- Together with the 900 VITO colleagues, you will make a difference in the system change that is necessary to achieve a sustainable society.