R&D Built Environment Policy Innovation
The Energy Policy, Innovation & Circularity team (EPIC) in EnergyVille/VITO provides science and fact-based advice in four expertise areas: Energy and Climate Policy Evaluation, Building Assessment and Circularity, Policy Innovation in the Built Environment and Societal Aspects of the Energy Transition. The EPIC team is part of EnergyVille, a collaboration between the Belgian research partners VITO, KU Leuven, IMEC and UHasselt.
We are looking for a driven Built Environment Policy Innovation expert to support our interdisciplinary team.
Within our experienced and motivated EPIC team, we focus on the Energy Transition in the Built Environment and its related EU policies and implementation in the Member States. As such, we support European, national and regional policy makers with innovative thinking and outreach, based on scientifically founded analysis and data driven research. The development and improvement of novel building performance indicators and methodologies fostering change in the building value chain are high on our agenda.
But most important, we place utmost significance on our team spirit, fostering an environment of synergy and enjoyment! Does this sound appealing? Then you might become our new colleague...
Some of your tasks
- You work on research projects and service contracts related to energy performance of buildings and decarbonisation roadmaps in the built environment; proven project management experience is plus.
- You dive into calculation methods and scenario development for better energy performance and you provide technical guidance to develop standards for zero emission buildings and energy performance thresholds for building renovations.
- Together with a team of colleagues, you are responsible for supporting national and regional governments in the implementation of EU building and energy related legislation.
- In this position, you also contribute to the acquisition of projects and the writing of research proposals with the aim of securing future research funding.
- You will be part of national and international consortia and build a network with relevant Belgian and international stakeholders and customers.
- You will prepare descriptive and analytical reports, translating the outcome of your analytical work into concrete policy recommendations.
- You can be asked to present your work to clients, stakeholders, and also to peers on national and international fora.
- You hold at a minimum a Master's degree in a relevant field.
- You have at least 4 years of relevant work experience in the construction or energy environment, either from a research, policy or industry perspective (including PhD, if applicable).
- You have affinity with building performance related research.
- You have experience or affinity with policy development or support in the fields of built environment or the energy transition. You are a flexible team player who enjoys challenging projects.
- You are communicative and can express yourself fluently in English (written and spoken). Knowledge of Dutch or other EU languages is an asset.
- Experience with working on assignments for the European Commission is of added value.
- Knowledge of programming (Matlab, Python), mathematical models or statistical analysis (SPSS, R, etc.) are an asset.
Examples of projects
Smart Readiness Indicator technical study: In the Smart Readiness Indicator technical support studies for the European Commission we investigated the possible scope and characteristics of the SRI. This was followed by a study on technical inputs needed to refine and finalize the definition of the SRI and the associated calculation methodology, further exploring options for the implementation of the SRI and evaluating their impact on EU level. This in order for the Commission services to assess the technical modalities of an effective implementation of the SRI scheme.
Energy performance label for apartment buildings: In a study commissioned by the Flemish Energy and Climate Agency, we are developing an energy performance label for apartment buildings as a whole. We use information from the existing energy performance certificates database for individual apartments and common areas, and simulations to develop the calculation method and limits for the resulting label. Since most energetic renovations need to be decided collectively by the association of co-owners, the new performance label at building level will better guide or, if necessary, enforce collective renovations.
PEDvolution is a Horizon Europe project targeting the cross-sectoral integration of ever-evolving Positive Energy Districts (PED). PEDs improve energy efficiency, integrate local renewables and excess heat more effectively and enable interaction with the energy and non-energy sectors like mobility, ICT and industry. A European consortium will co-develop and implement seven interoperable solutions accommodating this constant evolution, whereas our team will be co-leading the development of the ‘PED Readiness Level’, tested and validated in at least six real-life PEDs across Europe.
- You have real impact as you look for innovative solutions for today's challenges.
- You are supported by helpful colleagues that are eager to share their expertise in the field.
- You will be part of an organization where we show integrity and always strive for mutual benefit in close cooperation with all parties involved.
- VITO/EnergyVille is an international organisation: 40 different nationalities work with us.
- We work ‘activity based’: our activities determine our workplace. On average we meet 2 times a week in our office in Genk. For the other days you can work from home, Genk or work remotely at one of our satellite offices (for example Antwerpen-Berchem) depending on the needs of the activity.
- You will learn life-long and develop your skills further by using the newest of the latest technologies that you can test on the market yourself.
- We consider work-life balance to be of paramount importance at VITO. We are open to discuss your needs at any time and we have a flexible approach to finding solutions.