R&D Climate Impacts Agriculture
As a researcher you will contribute to climate-robust developments and climate adaptation at the Flemish, European and international level in support of environmental and climate policy. Your activities will be mainly focus on the link between climate change and ecosystems, especially on agriculture and crops.
- You develop “climate services” for governments, (inter)national organizations and companies;
- Together with your fellow researchers you integrate your knowledge and expertise in projects;
- In collaboration with climate data experts, software engineers and developers, you coordinate the expansion of the existing CLIMTAGTM tool (Climate Information Service and Tool for Agriculture) in view of further internationalization;
- You manage projects and guide colleagues;
- You process large amounts of climate data into customer-oriented applications;
- You develop models to study the climate and the impact of climate change and help determine the impact of adaptation measures for agriculture, ecosystems and society, as well as industry and health;
- Besides the development of the models, you are responsible for the analysis of the model results and the reporting to the customer or end user;
- You report the results in workshops and conferences and publish in scientific journals.
- You have experience in crop-modelling, in which you also incorporated climate and/or weather data;
- You have experience in project management;
- You have an affinity with, or experience, in the agricultural sector (in least developed countries);
- You are interested in urban agriculture and agro-forestry;
- You have good scientific communication skills, both spoken and written;
- You have a good command of English, spoken and written;
- Knowledge of French is a plus;
- You master autonomous and self-responsible working, but have team working skills as well;
- Working in a multidisciplinary context with experts from other domains (health, agriculture, urban planning, etc.) does not scare you;
- You are good with deadlines;
- Foreign research experience or experience with policy support research are plus points.
- The unit Environmental Modelling is located in Mol. We work activity based. Our activities determine our workplace. On average we meet twice a week in our office in Mol. The other days you can work from home, Mol or from a VITO satellite office (Antwerp-Berchem, Genk, Ghent, Ostend) depending on the needs of the activity.
- A competitive salary with a range of benefits, including allowances, insurance and a modular package of vacation days.
- Innovation is our core asset, therefore it goes without saying that we give our employees the opportunity to undertake additional training and keep up to date in their field of expertise.
- The chance to be part of an organization with an international reputation, known for its advanced technological research and scientific consultancy.
- The possibility to actively contribute towards sustainable developments at local, national and global level