R&D Software Developer/Engineer
VITO/Energyville is a leading Belgian research organization. Our researchers and experts work collaboratively to address critical sustainability challenges. We are currently seeking a motivated and skilled Software Developer to join our SESAM (Sustainable Energy Systems Assessment & Modelling) team within unit SEB (Smart Energy and the Built environment).
As a Software Developer at VITO/Energyville, you will play a pivotal role in supporting our researchers in the development and enhancement of software tools. This role requires a combination of generic software development skills and a keen interest in working with data in the context of prospective Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) and sustainability assessment.
- Collaborate with our LCA team to develop and maintain software solutions that support our research.
- Create, modify, and optimize software tools, emphasizing usability and data integration within the LCA framework.
- Collaborate with other IT colleagues within the SEB unit to implement a long-term strategy aimed at advancing digitalization and enhancing IT efficiency across the entire unit, ensuring the seamless integration of software tools and data-driven solutions.
- Continuously enhance your skill set and understanding of LCA principles to effectively support our researchers.
- Experience with relational databases as well as with Agile and Scrum methodologies is a plus.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with a data-driven mindset.
- A willingness to learn and apply the basics of sustainability assessment principles and methodologies.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a collaborative, interdisciplinary and international team with a focus on LCA projects.
- Adequate proficiency in English is essential.
- You are a flexible and a result-oriented team player able to work autonomously.
- A degree in Computer Science or equivalent, or demonstrated qualifications through proven experience, is required. Engineering candidates with a passion for IT and sustainability are encouraged to apply.
- A supportive and collaborative work environment with a team of passionate researchers and experts dedicated to sustainability research.
- Opportunities for personal and professional development, including LCA training and working on cutting-edge LCA software tools.
- We work ‘activity based’: our activities determine our workplace. On average we meet 2 days a week in our EnergyVille office in Genk. For the other days you can choose to work remotely from home or at one of our satellite offices (for example Antwerp-Berchem) depending on the needs of the activity.
- A competitive salary with a range of benefits, including allowances, insurance and a modular package of vacation days.