Project Manager Big Data Platforms
As a dynamic and highly motivated Project Manager you will manage international projects with the European Commission and the European Space Agency as most important stakeholders. You are the driver in an ecosystem of remote sensing data and platforms and ensure project execution from proposal to final review meeting. You work within a team of software developers and operation engineers. Together with the team you translate the project requirements in an efficient and operational service embedded into platforms like openEO. You scan the market for opportunities to contribute to and execute the internal vision and roadmap.
You lead the transition of a project-oriented approach into a sustainable business model for our platforms. This requires a thorough analysis of the market and various funding opportunities. Based on this, you evolve the business model and grow the platform. You strive to become a thought-leader in the domain of EO platforms and services to ensure that VITO remains a key player in the field. You'll become part of a talented, dedicated team working in a fast-paced, challenging international environment aiming to support the European Green Deal. We thrive to develop added value products on cutting edge technologies that will be used by a broad public, industry, the public sector and universities.
The Remote Sensing unit of VITO processes petabytes of Earth Observation data. We specialize in the extraction of information from the vast amounts of incoming images. Information required by our customers worldwide. Our extensive group of customers can be found within the domains of land use, civil infrastructure, agriculture, forestry, water management, heritage and ecological development.
- Project management in its broad context: Responsible for tasks, deliverables, risk assessment and mitigation, project administration, documentation within time and within budget. This in close cooperation with international partner companies and institutions.
- Reporting towards management and customers.
- Representation of your project portfolio on international, mostly scientific conferences
- Build a network within ESA, EC to generate opportunities and co-create the future roadmap of EO platforms
- Translation of project opportunities to actual proposals.
- Planning of necessary resources including subcontractor or consortium members
- Keep track of a strong user-oriented approach
- Team coaching: setting project strategy and keeping the team aligned to the goal
- Continuous improvement in the project and IT development processes
- Stay on the leading edge of the evolving remote sensing and IT world
- Master’s degree or PhD in (computer) science or engineering
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in project management in an international context.
- Understanding of big data ecosystems and public cloud
- Understanding of platform cost and business modelsUnderstanding geospatial data-analysis: data science, GIS and algorithm development in Python..
- Experience of working within a context of European Commission, EEA, ESA or Copernicus services is a plus
- Knowledge of agile development principles and having a DevOps mindset is an asset
- Excellent command of English
- Management skills in interdisciplinary and international scientific teams
- Proven reporting, communication and presentation skills
- Experience in project acquisition and supporting proposal management
- Autonomous and self-responsible working as well as team working skills
- Having an official certification such as PRINCE2, PMBOK or PMP is an asset
- We offer you a fascinating position in an internationally oriented research institute having a solid track record in the Remote Sensing world.
- A competitive remuneration, a package of additional benefits and special attention for work-life balance.
- Chance to actively contribute to sustainable developments on local, national and international level using the latest innovations.
- Our head office is located in Mol (Belgium), we offer much flexibility in work hours and remote working possibilities.
For more information, please visit our website http://remotesensing.vito.be/. Do you want to be part of the Remote Sensing unit? Please apply, we look forward to your application.