Post-doc – optimisation for habitat suitability
Our team is embedded in VITO with the vision to accelerate the transition to a more sustainable world.
You will be member of a team that focuses on supply chain optimization. The team provides supply chain decision support as a service towards public and private customers, via research projects as well as commercial consultancy. To support this activity the team developed MooV, our proprietary linear programming optimization model. More on: https://moov.vito.be/en
As team member you will be working on a European project with the objective to improve biodiversity on agricultural and in Europe by developing the means to evaluate habitat suitability of farmland bird species. More specifically, your focus will be on providing decision support for the implementation of greening measures by optimizing habitat suitability at minimum cost.
- You translate Birdwatch optimization requirements into mathematical logic.
- You will develop the allocation algorithm to optimize farmland suitability as an extension to our current MooV-model.
- You apply, test and validate the model’s resultson 4 demonstrator cases.
- You report the results in a (non-technical) decision support format.
- You act as MooV’s representative in the project.
Our team is embedded in VITO with the vision to accelerate the transition to a more sustainable world. As a MooV team we believe supply chain optimization is an essential part to make that happen. Interested? Check below if you match the profile that we are looking for this position.
- You have a master’s degree in a mathematical, scientific or engineering field with focus on operations research algorithms. A PhD in this, or in another quantitative field, is preferred.
- You have expertise in linear programming using Python or using another programming language (e.g. R, MATLAB, …). Preferably in network and supply chain analysis. Having GIS expertise is an asset.
- You have knowledge of related mathematical optimization techniques and heuristics.
- You have strong and creative mathematical problem-solving capabilities.
- You can bring theoretical content and results to a client-friendly communication level
- You have affinity with environmental aspects such as ecology, biodiversity and conservation.
- You can work autonomously supported by a team.
- You are fluent in Dutch and English
Should you also feel attracted as a researcher and no longer want or need to do a postdoc,... feel free to respond to the vacancy as well!
- A temporary contract with duration of 3 years with evaluation after 1 year.
- We work 'activity based', our activities bring us to our location. Part-time work remote from home, our headquarter in Mol.
- A team of nice colleagues, experts in their fields, who will guide, support and interact with you
- A range of benefits including allowances, insurances, adjustable holiday package and flexible working hours and workplace.
- Innovation is our core asset, therefore it goes without saying that we give our employees the opportunity to undertake additional training and keep up to date in their field of expertise
- The chance to be part of an organization with an international reputation, known for its advanced technological research and scientific consultancy
- The possibility to actively contribute towards sustainable developments at local, national and global level