Mol, BelgiumICT & Data Science
VITO is a Flemish independent research organization in the field of cleantech and sustainable development. Our goal? To accelerate the transition to a sustainable world.
The Remote Sensing unit processes petabytes of Earth observation data. We specialize in Big Data analysis using numerical methods, computer vision, machine learning techniques in application workflows. This is our passion, distilling information from the incoming tidal wave of imagery, information that helps our clients move forward. Our extensive group of clients can be found within the fields of land planning, civil infrastructure, agriculture, forestry, water management, heritage and nature development. Be sure to take a look at https://remotesensing.vito.be/ to learn more about our activities.
Continuous Earth observation via sensors on satellites, aircraft, drones, cars, vessels forms the basis for building a Digital Twin environment. Digital Twin technology is deployed by VITO to guide society on the path to sustainability regarding the management of natural resources. This technology is used by governments and companies as support for policy and process management (planning, design, monitoring and enforcement).
As a Devops Engineer, you will work within a mixed group of domain/data experts and software developers. You move in an international environment with clients such as the European Space Agency, the European Commission, federal and regional governments. Our research is often done in partnership with foreign research groups and companies.
Within the Remote Sensing unit we strive to valorize the research as early as possible. Within a data-driven environment, this means converting prototype full-stack environments that can grow into operational systems as early as possible. This includes:
- Building workflows to distill information from images via algorithmic code;
- Building backend systems to open up raw data and results to the outside world;
- Building APIs to provide interfaces to data and models;
- Building web applications for clients and project partners.
We are therefore strongly committed to DevOps including CI/CD and containerization and this within a hybrid environment (on-premise) and/or public Cloud (AWS, Azure, European Cloud providers) depending on customer requirements.
Some of your diverse range of tasks:
- You take the lead in designing prototypes and operational systems and this within a CI/CD infrastructure.
- You focus on automating processes within the domain of application development, testing, deployment and operations.
- You actively contribute to the choice, configuration and management of the (on-premise or cloud) platforms for hosting software applications. You take into account scalability, performance, security and integrations with internal and/or external applications or data sources.
- You play a key role in the implementation of a container orchestration platform.
- You work agile in short iterations where you think along in the customer's process and often ask for feedback from colleagues, in co-creation.
- You actively collaborate on new project proposals.
- You follow trends within your field of expertise.
- You have a M.Sc. in exact sciences.
- You have hands-on programming knowledge in Python.
- Experience with Java, C++ and GIS are extra assets.
- You have extensive experience in Linux operating systems.
- You have experience with Cloud environments (AWS, Azure...) and network technology.
- You have experience with software applications in containers and their orchestration (Docker, Kubernetes).
- Infrastructure-as-code is not foreign to you (Puppet, Terraform, Git).
- You have experience in building and maintaining CI/CD pipelines.
- You work in an R&D environment where system requirements are not fixed, therefore a flexible and pragmatic attitude and approach is essential.
- You detect opportunities, like to take initiative and are solution oriented.
- Excellent knowledge of English is necessary.
Do you want to contribute to the transition to a more sustainable society? Do you and your teammates passionately seek customized software solutions? Do you like to follow best practices in the rapidly changing IT world? Do you have a passion for open source development, deploy & operations? Then don't hesitate to contact us so we can get acquainted!
- We work 'activity-based', our activities bring us to our location. Our headquarter is in Mol. Hybrid / Part-time working from home or a satellite office in Antwerp-Berchem, Ghent or Ostend is possible.
- A competitive salary with a range of benefits, including allowances, insurance and a modular package of holidays.
- Innovation is our asset, so it goes without saying that we give our employees the opportunity to take additional training courses and stay up-to-date in their field. You will always have the opportunity to broaden your knowledge and discover new technologies.
- You will have the opportunity to be part of an organization with an international reputation, known for its cutting-edge technological research and scientific consultancy.
- With us, you will contribute directly to sustainable developments at local, national and global level through your innovative applications. You provide answers to contemporary societal challenges.
- Moreover, we highly value a good work-life balance at VITO! This is achieved by adopting a flexible attitude depending on your specific needs.