Data Engineer Remote Sensing
The Remote Sensing unit of VITO processes petabytes of earth observation data. We primarily specialise in Big Data analysis with the use of machine learning and deep learning techniques in the application workflows. That is our passion: the extraction of information from the vast amounts of incoming images. Information required by our clients. Our extensive group of clients can be found within the domains of land use, civil infrastructure, agriculture, forestry, water management, heritage and ecological development.
To accelerate our growth of earth observation services and user demand, we are strengthening our team with a customer-facing data engineer who has an interest in image analytics, big data analysis, machine learning and deep learning techniques in the context of environmental applications. You will be working in a dynamic environment, balancing between R&D, prototyping and operational services. You have a strong engineering but pragmatic, service oriented mindset, are tech-savvy and are able to connect well with people with different backgrounds in an international environment.
- Act as interface between Earth Observation platforms, services and user community
- Write sample code, preferably in Python to facilitate the use of Earth Observation data
- Convert prototypes into operational services based on the openEO API.
- Present the service portfolio to different user groups to grow the amount of active users
- Judge quality and maturity of new services
- Translate technical documents into easy understandable language
- Optimize services for cost and performance
- Follow up on the commercial aspects of our Earth Observation marketplace together with the team.
- Write documentation and news items on new releases and/or features
- Together with the team, analyze the needs of users to grow the portfolio and act accordingly.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in (computer) science, (bio-)engineering, …
- Proven expertise in one or more of the following domains is definitely an asset, but we strongly value the willingness to learn:
- Image processing, Data Science, drones, machine and/or deep learning techniques
- Satellite and drone based EO datasets of various sensors
- Programming expertise in higher languages like Python
- GIS expertise (e.g. QGIS)
- You will be working in a flexible environment (R&D and prototyping) and thus a pragmatic, user-focused approach linking science to services is essential.
- You have an open mind and you work solution oriented.
- You work easily in a team and are equally capable of working independently.
- Given the international nature of this position, good knowledge of English is essential.
- You have a fluent pen and are a fast learner, eager to keep up-to-date on new technologies
- We offer you a fascinating position in an internationally oriented research institute having a solid track record in the Remote Sensing world.
- A competitive remuneration, a package of additional benefits and special attention for work-life balance.
- Chance to actively contribute to sustainable developments on local, national and international level using the latest innovations.
- Our head office is located in Mol (Belgium), we offer much flexibility in work hours and remote working possibilities.
For more information, please visit our website http://remotesensing.vito.be/. We look forward to hearing from you!