As an internationally recognized research center, VITO wants to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world. For example, with its Health research program, VITO is fully committed to supporting the societal transitions to a more preventive health system. In essence, you play a key role in PARC, a new European partnership with strong ambitions to better manage and share chemical risk assessment data, exposure data and health data. As Data Engineer at VITO, you will always work with the latest state of the art technology (e.g. ETL-platforms like Airflow or RDF). You support EU-wide stakeholders in assessing the impact of chemicals on human health by setting up data integration processes for large existing data sets as well as smaller distributed data repositories. Your software solutions will improve the accessibility, interoperability and integration of data across these different databases and repositories.
Some of your daily activities:
- You will start from existing technologies and solutions and adapt them to the needs and requirements of the data users and to the FAIR principles.
- You translate technical requirements into an implementation plan and realize it into an operational platform. You will give specific attention to include the necessary safeguards with regards to secure data access and correct reuse of personal data.
- You work closely together with our European partners, with other data experts within VITO and with domain experts on Environment & Health.
- You hold a Master’s degree (or PhD) in a relevant field (Informatics, Computer Sciences, Sciences, Mathematics, …) or equivalent through experience in a complex IT environment.
- You have a broad knowledge of and experience with established (and upcoming) data engineering technologies and you (preferably) have experience with the (re)use of peronal, sensitive data.
- You have hands-on experience with the development and implementation of federated data infrastructures and related web services.
- You are familiar with or eager to learn about linked data concepts & technologies, like RDF, OWL or SPARQL.
- You have an excellent command of English.
- If you're tired of the frequent commute, you've come to the right place. We work 'activity based', our activities bring us to our location. Our head office is in Mol, here we meet two times a week. Part-time work from home or working from a satellite office in Antwerp-Berchem, Genk, Ghent or Ostend is possible.
- A competitive salary with a range of benefits including allowances, insurances, and a modular vacation package.
- Innovation is our asset, so it goes without saying that we offer our employees the opportunity to follow additional training courses and stay up to date in their field of expertise. You always get the opportunity to broaden your knowledge on for example FAIR or linked data technologies.
- You will be part of an organization with an international reputation, known for its advanced technological research and scientific consultancy.
- With us, you will contribute directly to sustainable developments at local, national, and global level through your innovative applications. You provide an answer to today’s societal challenges.
- Moreover, at VITO we attach great importance to work-life balance. We do this by being flexible, depending on your specific needs.
Are you a independend, flexible, agile and eager to interact and collaborate with data-technical experts and stakeholders in different research domains (food, health, toxicology, modelling, …)? Come and join us now!