VITO’s Precision Health Group (PHG) has the vision of creating a personalized healthcare and clinical landscape empowered by Digital (Virtual) Twins technologies using AI and data driven methodologies.
We focus on developing data driven applications for healthcare & clinical practice. Primary focus is the integration of personal health data at various levels (genomics, proteomics, clinical biochemistry, e-health records and real-world data) to enable precision health applications.
PHG is situated in the VITO Sustainable Health unit and is working with an international and multi-disciplinary team supporting personal health data sharing initiatives, diagnostic research and their application in clinical & healthcare practice. Our research towards creating personal health data vaults (https://we-are-health.be/en) for hosting various sources of personal health data is geared towards enabling Digital Twins at the national as well as at the European level. We are part of the consortium of European initiative for Digital Twins in Healthcare (https://www.edith-csa.eu/) as well as other major Horizon EU projects in developing best practices for healthcare and clinical software in EU regulatory setting.
We are highly committed to making translational research data FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Useable), while developing tools and resources to ensure the transparency, robustness, FAIRness and accountability of proposed methodologies and applications.
Currently we are looking for a Bioinformatics Researcher with a strong background in Life Sciences and interest in developing real world, patient-facing applications for Healthcare and Clinical Practice. You will be working with a range of different health data types (Genomics, Proteomics, Clinical Data, Metabolomics and others) independently hence learning on the job, creativity and critical thinking are crucial. You will take the initiative in data processing, analysis and presentation in collaboration with PhD candidates. You will provide guidance and supervision for junior researchers.
- You will be working independently and be responsible for a variety of research projects about biological data processing, analysis and visualization.
- You coordinate with the project teams (supervision of PhD and Master’s students where applicable), set up a research trajectory and a publication strategy, communicate with the Project Leads and/or Project Managers. Contributing towards application development will be facilitated by close collaboration with the Data Engineers and Software Engineers involved.
- You create data analysis workflows (both development & implementation) for Whole Genome Sequencing (WGS), Proteomics, Metabolomics, Clinical Data as well as their systems level integration are an integral part of this position.
- You are expected to work together with a Data Engineer for workflow building, a software engineer and VITO’s Data Science Hub team (where expertise of semantic web and SOLID is present) for contributing to the implementation of healthcare applications.
- Hence, you will take the primary responsibility of implementation of the state-of-the-art technologies and developments in PHGs areas of research.
- You hold an MSc (Preferably PhD) in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Biostatistics, Biomedical Sciences or related field.
- You have extensive hands-on experience with wide range of bioinformatics methods for NGS sequencing and targeted proteomics analysis and you have experience in integration of high dimensional genomics with other data types.
- You have strong proficiency in functional genomic data analysis, with solid understanding of the appropriate statistical and bioinformatics methodologies and you have demonstrated experience in working with various health data types (genomics, proteomics, clinical biochemistry, imaging data &/ e-health records).
- You have programming and analytics skills in Python and R and you have proven track record of scientific publications in bioinformatics &/ genomics.
- It is a plus if you have experience with Electronic Health Data, Real World Data (RWD), Proteomics data analysis.
- If you're tired of the frequent commute, you've come to the right place. We work 'activity based', our activities bring us to our location. Our head office is in Mol, here we meet two times a week. Part-time work from home or working from a satellite office in Antwerp-Berchem, Genk, Ghent or Ostend is possible. You are expected to work at least 2 days per week on-site, with face-to-face contact with the rest of the PHG.
- A competitive salary with a range of benefits including allowances, insurances, and a modular vacation package.
- Innovation is our asset, so it goes without saying that we offer our employees the opportunity to follow additional training courses and stay up to date in their field of expertise. You always get the opportunity to broaden your knowledge on for example FAIR or linked data technologies.
- You will be part of an organization with an international reputation, known for its advanced technological research and scientific consultancy.
- With us, you will contribute directly to sustainable developments at local, national, and global level through your innovative applications. You provide an answer to today’s societal challenges.
- Moreover, at VITO we attach great importance to work-life balance. We do this by being flexible, depending on your specific needs.