Analytical lab technician Sustainable Materials
As VITO, we have clear ambitions to further strengthen our research programme ‘Sustainable Materials Management’ . We focus on the development of technologies that can enable the transition towards a more circular and sustainable economy. In the waste-to-product research line we have the ambition to develop zero-waste solutions to transform residues into sustainably resources and products. One of our core research activities is the development of innovative processes to develop sustainable construction materials (cement, concrete, ceramics, aggregates,….) from industrial residues (slags, ashes, sludges….). In our program on structured materials we focus on advanced shaping and coating technologies to develop the new generation of sorbents, catalysts and battery materials.
To support these research programs, we have a dedicated analytical team that takes care of advanced material characterization (XRD, SEM-EDS, TGA, MIP, FTIR, interferometry, gas sorption, …). To strengthen this team we are currently looking for a new colleague with a strong organisations skills and an analytical mindset to run our XRD lab.
Responsibilities and requirements
- As analytical expert you will support the research projects conducted in the Materials unit.
- You will be required to work in an international, interdisciplinary environment. The position will involve close collaboration and coordination with researchers, postdocs and PhD students.
- You have experience with XRD measurements, XRD data treatment and analysis and can translate specific research questions into the right measurement setup. A broader knowledge of other material analysis techniques is also of interest.
- You are expected to assume responsibility over the present XRD equipment, provide support in data analysis, and further develop the use of XRD as quantitative material characterization technique.
- You are able to organize the XRD analysis lab including planning of the incoming analysis requests and discussion with the responsible researchers, execute the measurements and requested analyses to support the interpretation of the results.
- Your communication skills and in-depth knowledge of XRD analysis allow you to discuss the measurement results with the responsible researchers.
- You are flexible and interested to work with other analysis techniques as well (e.g. XRF, SEM-EDS, TGA, optical microscopy,…)
- You pay attention to health, safety and environmental aspects related to the analysis work and can translate these in HSE procedures.
- After a training period you are able to organize and perform analyses and interpretations independently.
- You hold a Master’s degree in Engineering or Sciences (Materials, Chemistry, Physics, Geology).
- You have experience with analysis techniques. Experience with XRD qualitative and quantitative (Rietveld) phase analysis is a plus.
- You have an outstanding analytical mindset and an eye for detail.
- You are accurate and efficient in execution of the analyses as well as the reporting.
- You are motivated to find solutions to diverse analytical questions.
- You are hands-on and a lab environment feels natural for you.
- You have strong communication skills.
- You are fluent in English. Knowledge of Dutch is a plus.
- A competitive salary with a range of benefits including allowances, insurances, and a modular vacation package
- A team of nice colleagues, experts in their fields, who will guide, support and interact with you
- Interesting opportunities to interact with partners in industry and academia
- Innovation is our asset, so it goes without saying that we offer our employees the opportunity to follow additional training courses and stay up to date in their field of expertise
- You will be part of an organization with an international reputation, known for its advanced technological research and scientific consultancy