R&D Expert electricity market design
VITO/EnergyVille’s ‘Energy Markets’ team is specialized in the electricity and multi-carrier market design, modelling and regulation. The team’s expertise covers a broad range of topics: from conceptual design of electricity and reserve markets to modelling of different electricity markets and systems (including networks and market participant’s behaviour) and regulation. Specific applications are the integration of flexibility from the distribution system, tariff design, TSO-DSO-customer coordination, market-based sector integration, decentralized market forms such as peer-to-peer or energy communities, and innovative flexibility service and product design. The ‘Energy Markets’ team applies this knowledge in a wide range of projects: from longer-term fundamental research projects to short-term knowledge-intensive consultancy projects executed directly for our customers, e.g. regulators, governments, and regulated stakeholders such as system operators.
Your tasks and responsibilities:
- You will act as a key expert on electricity market design, in particular on topics related to the market-based flexibility integration from the distribution system and decentralized market forms.
- You will be taking the technical lead in writing project proposals and in project execution. You will advise our customers on a broad range of topics related to the electricity market design.
- You will prepare and present high-quality reports and presentations to the customers.
- You will contribute to the team’s research activities supporting the further development of internal tools by providing insights from the stakeholders needs.
- You hold a master degree in Engineering, Economics, or another relevant study, combined with at least 5 years of relevant experience in a consultancy company, within a research institute, energy utility, or with system operators.
- You have factual knowledge of how today’s electricity and reserve markets are organized in Belgium and the EU.
- You are fluent in either Dutch or French and in English.
- You have experience in writing tenders or project proposals.
- You have experience in managing projects and client’s expectations.
- You communicate project results in high-quality reports, papers and presentations.
- You actively extend your network to expand the team’s portfolio of consultancy projects.
Finally, having the following qualifications can give you a competitive edge:
- You are familiar with different electricity market models.
- You have business development skills.
- The possibility to work activity based: your activities determine your work place. On average, you are expected at our office in Genk twice a week. The other days you can work from home or from other VITO locations (Mol, Antwerp-Berchem, Ghent, Ostend), depending on the needs of the activities and your team.
- An attractive salary package supplemented with extra-legal benefits such as allowances, insurances and a modular holiday package.
- A great deal of freedom and flexibility in your job that enables you to achieve an attractive work-life balance.
- Innovation is our core value, we give our employees the opportunity to educate themselves and keep up to date within their field of expertise, moreover, we expect this.