R&D Material Scientist for Batteries
Eager to contribute to innovative solutions for a sustainable future? Come join our Coating and shaping technologies (CAST) team at VITO – an independent research organization in Flanders that specializes in cleantech and sustainable development. Our mission is to create a better, more sustainable future for all, and we need your help to do it!
As a material scientist with a strong electrochemical background, you will have the opportunity to develop new materials for next-generation batteries, with a focus on advanced Li-ion and post Li-ion chemistries. The main driver for development of new electrode materials is to achieve improved battery performance at lower cost and reduced use of critical raw materials. You will contribute to material solutions that will enable sustainable energy storage to power the future.
- As part of our enthusiastic and dynamic research team of over 30 talented individuals, you will be at the forefront of materializing concepts for the industry of the future
- You will have the opportunity to develop new battery materials by using innovative surface and coating technologies and powder processing techniques. You will be involved in the synthesis of anode and cathode materials, investigation of their electrochemical behaviour and performance testing in cells.
- You contribute to the acquisition and execution of (inter)national research projects and state-of-the-art innovation projects with industrial and/or academic partners
- You translate theoretical concepts into practical implementations, considering the economic feasibility of the research
- You timely and accurately execute and analyze experiments in collaboration with other team members
- You follow-up and report project tasks with periodic internal and external review meetings
- You identify and develop innovative ideas for IP generation, and publish your work in high-impact scientific publications
- You give presentations at (inter)national forums
- You contribute to a network of interesting partners
- You have a PhD degree in Engineering or Applied Sciences (Materials, Chemistry, Physics) and you combine this with a strong basic knowledge of electrochemistry.
- You are widely experienced in synthesis and processing of anode and cathode materials, to be used in Li-ion and post Li-ion batteries. You also have hands-on experience with battery cell assembly and troubleshooting.
- You have a strong network and a good knowledge of current trends in the battery field.
- You are driven to set up R&D projects in an international context; experience in an industrial R&D environment is an asset.
- You take initiative and can work independently, while you keep on consulting and discussing with a team.
- You are strong in multitasking and planning.
- You are creative, results-driven and can meet quality output with stringent deadlines.
- You have good communication skills and are proficient in English, both written and orally.
- An attractive salary package supplemented with extra-legal benefits such as allowances, insurances and a modular holiday package.
- You work at our office in Mol and will have a great deal of freedom and flexibility in your job that enables you to achieve an attractive work-life balance.
- Innovation is our key asset, and we give our employees the opportunity to undertake additional training and keep up to date with developments in their specialist field. In fact, we expect this of them.
- The opportunity to be part of an organisation with an international reputation, known for its advanced technological research and scientific consultancy.
- Together with 900 VITO colleagues, you will be part of making the difference in the systemic change that is required in order to achieve a sustainable society.