Bioinformatics Data Engineer
We are looking for a Bioinformatics data engineer with a strong interest in software development & operations (DevOps) to facilitate data-wrangling, integration and interoperability in health research data management.
VITO’s Precision Health Group (PHG) has the vision of creating a personalized healthcare and clinical landscape empowered by Digital (Virtual) Twins technologies using AI and data driven methodologies.
We focus on developing data driven applications for translational healthcare & clinical practice. Primary focus is the integration of personal health data at various levels (genomics, proteomics, clinical biochemistry, e-health records and real-world data) to enable precision health applications.
Our research towards creating personal health data vaults (we-are-health.be) for hosting various sources of personal health data is geared towards enabling Digital Twins at the national as well as at the European level.
We are highly committed to making translational research data FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable), while developing tools and resources to ensure the transparency, robustness, FAIRness and accountability of proposed methodologies and applications.
PHG at VITO Sustainable Health Unit, is working with an international and multi-disciplinary team supporting personal health data sharing initiatives, diagnostic research and related clinical & healthcare translation.
We are a highly collaborative group with active collaboration across various projects with KU Leuven, University of Hasselt, Jessa Hospital, University College London (UCL), Maastricht University and various industrial partners.
- You will be responsible for the coordination, design, data management and collaborative development of a Computational Repository that hosts Personal Data such as Electronic Health Records, Personal Genomics, clinical images and Real World Data (RWD) from hospitals, research centers and other healthcare stakeholders that can be imported, stored, integrated and shared for R&D purposes. This repository environment will be highly inspired, but not limited by the Solid approach to personal data management.
- You are expected to work together with VITO’s Data Science Hub and take the responsibility of the FAIRification and of various data resources.
- You hold a MSc or PhD degree in Data/Knowledge Engineering, Software Engineering, Bioinformatics or related field.
- You have programming skills in Python and R.
- You have demonstrated experience with health data types (genomics, proteomics, imaging data &/ e-health) and management platforms (SQL, MongoDB &/ preferably Solid).
- You have demonstrated familiarity with Clinical & Health Data Ontologies (HL7, FHIR, OMOP…)
- It is a plus if you have experience with clinical trials or translational research studies, SOLID infrastructure building, Biobank systems and data models, Information security and privacy aspects.
Do you have a proactive attitude and a strong commitment to translational personal health research and implementation in daily clinical and healthcare practice? Don't hesitate and join us now!
- If you're tired of the frequent commute, you've come to the right place. We work 'activity based', our activities bring us to our location. Our head office is in Mol, here we meet two times a week. Part-time work from home or working from a satellite office in Antwerp-Berchem, Genk, Ghent or Ostend is possible. You are expected to work at least 2 days per week on-site, with face-to-face contact with the rest of the PHG.
- A competitive salary with a range of benefits including allowances, insurances, and a modular vacation package.
- Innovation is our asset, so it goes without saying that we offer our employees the opportunity to follow additional training courses and stay up to date in their field of expertise. You always get the opportunity to broaden your knowledge on for example FAIR or linked data technologies.
- You will be part of an organization with an international reputation, known for its advanced technological research and scientific consultancy.
- With us, you will contribute directly to sustainable developments at local, national, and global level through your innovative applications. You provide an answer to today’s societal challenges.
- Moreover, at VITO we attach great importance to work-life balance. We do this by being flexible, depending on your specific needs.